Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The End

I know everyone has a different style of writing.

Plotter.

Pantster.

Chunks,

Lineary.

Or any combination of the above. My favorite, and what I am, is a chunky pants writer.

Sometimes I write backwards, too.

There's a story I have been mulling over for several months. I've been too busy and stressed to actually write it much, just 100 words here, or 200 there. I just couldn't get into it. Never quite understood the overall arch or characters. Then I discovered the end. Once I wrote where we were going I got excited, then I knew which path to follow.

I thought back and realized, I've done this will each of my novels. Write the beginning, then end, then go and fill in the middle. It's nice to recognize my pattern. I know every book is different, and it is, but having some sort of pattern makes me feel legitimate, more like I know what I'm doing.

Do you have a pattern? How do you write?

9 comments:

  1. Chunky pants. Ha! Is that like mom jeans? :)

    I'm a linear plotter who relies heavily on instinct. Is that even a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of people who can write a story. Before I retired, I would recreate by writing investigative historical articles for magazines. I also write poems and humorous essays, but stories --crafted fictions-- have always been beyond me. One of my favorite learning experiences is hearing from authors like you, who can write stories and bring them into the world. My compliments and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in awe of people who write humorous essays. I always think I should be able to. I never can. Hmmm, maybe you can write a humorous essay on trying to write a humorous essay.

      Delete
  3. WooHooo! A new story to work with is a delight and a challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get the first chapter shaped up a little I might ask you to read it and see if it's of any interest.

      Delete
  4. I think chunky pants is my new favorite phrase, haha. Although I don't suppose it would be too polite for me to ask people if they like chunky pants.

    I tend to plot the crap out of a story (hello outline and storyboards!) and write linearly. There have been instances where I've backtracked and filled in new scenes, but overall, I'm pretty boring and straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it gets done it doesn't matter how you get there. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, Spesh, that is a bombshell! I'm a chunky Pantser too, but get stuck half way through. Perhaps I'll try your way and write the end. Can't wait to see your next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I sort of know what you mean. I need to know the end before I can finish the middle bits. On the other hand, I have to discover as I go. If I plot too far ahead, I get bored, and never write things properly. I end up writing a detailed outline and just leaving it there.

    ReplyDelete