Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Yours, Mine, Ours

I have seen the question “which book do you wish you had written?”  many times in the writing blogosphere.  What I want to know is do you have one?  I can’t think of one book I wish I had been the one to write.  There are books I love.  There are authors I wish I could write as well as.  Sometimes I want a certain books attention to detail, or characterization, or dry humor, or beautiful description, but there is no one book I wish had my name on it. 

Mostly I wish I could do justice to the books in my head.  Those are the books I wish I had written (or will write).  In all my writing I have found that the story changes in the telling.  Maybe this is because I’m a pantster and I don’t have a clear idea of where I’m going at the beginning.  But even if the plot follows my idea my writing doesn’t do justice to what I had imagined. 

So, Is there any one book you wish you had written, or do you just wish to write your own to the best of your ability?

3 comments:

  1. Just let me do justice to the stories in my head! But I wouldn't mind the skills of a Gabaldon, Bujold, etc. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think we mean that we wish we could write with that certain quality that inspires us to write in the first place ... hm-mm ... I think that's what I meant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone wishes they wrote Harry Potter! ;) But I don't know if I wish I could have wrote a certain book. I wish I could write as well as other authors I think. :)

    ReplyDelete